Ask UP, the online resource launched in fall 2020, continues to demystify how university presses work. Its collection of frequently asked questions details common scholarly publishing practices as undertaken by university presses around the globe, although specific procedures and policies may vary from press to press. Created and fueled by the AUPresses Faculty Outreach Committee, the site also offers illustrations of the lifecycle of a book and suggests further reading on such topics as academic career advancement, writing and style, publishing and scholarly communication, and copyright and intellectual property.
The Modern Language Association of America, Michigan State University Press, Bristol University Press, and the University of Virginia Press hosted the site between summer 2021 and spring 2022, curating and answering new questions. Rutgers University Press is set to host in summer 2022.
During the past year, the Faculty Outreach Committee has continued to establish relationships with scholarly associations. Despite persistent disruptions to conference planning and travel caused by the continuing COVID-19 pandemic, the Committee facilitated the following publishing sessions:
- Conference panel, American Sociological Association, organized in 2021 by former Committee member Ilene Kalish (NYU)
- Information session, Association for the Study of African American Life and History, organized by Committee member Ehren Foley (South Carolina) in 2021
- Conference panel, African Studies Association, organized in 2021 by Caitlyn Tyler-Richards (Michigan State)
- Conference panel, Modern Language Association, organized in 2022 by Committee member Philip Leventhal (Columbia)
- Webinar for the American Anthropological Association, organized in 2022 by Kalish.
Other Author Resources
The Resources page on the AUPresses website offers a selection of Association materials and tools for authors seeking publishers, in addition to helpful tools such as the Permissions FAQ, the Peer Review Best Practices Handbook, and Digital Art Submission Guidelines.